How to Help

Families from Upstate New York and from around the Northeast come to our House seeking life-saving treatment for their critically ill children. Often times, they come to us exhausted, scared and financially drained as they struggle to pay overwhelming bills.

We care for up to 25 guest families every night, providing them with a home away from home while their children receive medical treatment. In addition to providing a comfortable bedroom, we surround our families with love and support from our volunteers, staff and other guest families who share the same hopes and fears.

But we could not do everything we do for families in need without your help. Local McDonald’s restaurants and their customers generously provide 30 percent of our annual operating expenses. We do not receive any city, state or federal grant funds.We depend on generous individuals, corporations and foundations to fund the remaining 70 percent of our budget. And, we depend on our extensive volunteer network to better serve our families, while keeping costs down. 

As an In-House Volunteer you can help meet the needs of the families using the Ronald McDonald House and assist with the day-to-day operations of the House by answering phones, registering families and doing light housekeeping.

2008 Family Room Jessie & Terry read bookAs a Family Room Volunteer you can greet families using the Ronald McDonald House Family Room inside Albany Medical Center as well as offer resources and a listening ear.

As a Ronald McDonald Care Mobile Volunteer you can assist the dental team by walking students to and from the Care Mobile and their classrooms while providing the students encouragement while they wait for dental services. Time commitment is dependent on volunteer schedules. Two hours a week is encouraged. The schools that are visited by the Care Mobile generally operate between the hours of 8:30am and 2:30pm.

SAMSUNGAll of our program volunteers are required to undergo an extensive background check as well as training for their specific roles.

As a Meal Partner you can provide families in the House with a weekly, biweekly, monthly or occasional hot meal.  Additionally, groups often provide breakfast or bake goodies (cookies, brownies,etc.) at the Ronald McDonald House.

Volunteers also help raise money by hosting approved events in support of the House or conduct Wish List Drives to keep our cupboards full.

Children in the community can make a difference in the lives of families of the Ronald McDonald House. This program teaches children both better reading skills and the value of community service. Read for Ronald McDonald House encourages children in their achievements in reading, a core skill that is vital to their future success in life.

Become a part of our network of supporters and friends helping families in need.

Please donate or volunteer today!