Welcome to the House That Love Built
In times of stress, you need good food, a community of people who understand what you are going through, a comfortable place to rest your head, and the closeness of your family. That’s what you get at the Ronald McDonald House.
Staying with us offers:
Clean, comfortable spaces for daily living
Private bedrooms to rest and recharge, all of which include a private bathroom
Freshly made meals prepared by caring volunteers
Convenient access to nearby hospitals, including the Bernard & Millie Duker Children's Hospital at Albany Med
A community of families and friends you can relate to
This is the house where families meet
to continue their lives, to eat and sleep,
to find their strength and dry their tears,
to look forward with hope to better years.
This is the house that becomes their home.
This is the house that love built.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to stay?
We serve families of patients ages 21 years or younger who are receiving treatment at Albany Medical Center. The severity of a patient’s illness and the distance between your home and the hospital are also considered in allocating rooms. Preference is given to families who live at least 30 miles away from Albany.
How much does it cost?
Families are welcomed to the Ronald McDonald House at absolutely no charge.
On average, it costs $120 per night to accommodate one guest family at the Albany Ronald McDonald House. We rely on the generosity of our donors to provide services at no charge to families. Click here to donate now.
How long can I stay?
The length of your stay at the Albany Ronald McDonald House may depend on several factors, such as your child’s treatment plan and input from your child’s hospital case worker or social worker.
Are meals provided?
Thanks to generous community volunteers and meal partners, breakfast and homemade dinner is provided every day. In addition to prepared meals, you may enjoy full use of two well-equipped kitchens, and are welcome to any food, beverages, or cooking supplies offered in the kitchen or shared refrigerator.
You may purchase your own food, label it, and store it in the family refrigerator or in your personal pantry.
NOTE: Food and beverages are to be consumed in the kitchen, dining room or basement areas only. Other common areas and bedrooms are food-free spaces.
How do I request a room?
Families are frequently referred to the Ronald McDonald House by hospital nurses or social workers. Your child’s hospital care team can help you determine if staying at the Ronald McDonald House is a good fit for your family, and if so, they can make a referral on your behalf.
To inquire about requesting a room please call (518) 438-2655 within 24 hours of your needed stay.
What should I bring?
Please bring the following items to check in at Ronald McDonald House:
- a valid photo ID (needed for each adult at time of check in)
- personal clothing
- personal medications
- child safety equipment, if needed (such as a car seat)
How can I get to and from the hospital?
Albany Medical Center is located within walking distance of the Albany Ronald McDonald House (less than 0.5 miles). Complimentary 24 hour shuttle service is available, which you can request via phone call. You may also store your vehicle in one of our two parking lots.
Is parking available?
A parking area for families, staff and volunteers is located at the rear of the House (accessible from Mercer Street). Free street parking is also available.
The Albany Ronald McDonald House is a community living environment. We appreciate your cooperation in helping us maintain a harmonious, home-like atmosphere that is safe, secure, clean and conducive to rest and rejuvenation.
To that end, we respectfully ask you to observe the following rules and guidelines:
- Check In: Please be prepared to provide RMH staff with an ID and time to fill out required paperwork.
- Quiet Hours: 9PM-7AM daily.
- Child Supervision: Children require parental/guardian supervision at all times at RMHC.
- Prohibited items include: tobacco, alcohol, drugs, and weapons.
- For the safety of all guests and visitors: Individuals who have been convicted of any crime against a minor will not be permitted to stay at the House.
- General Housekeeping: Housekeepers clean guest rooms and bathrooms weekly, and between stays. Please make every effort to keep your rooms tidy, make use of our free laundry facilities when needed, and place all dishes, utensils, and glassware in the dishwasher each time you use the kitchen.
- Accessibility: Ronald McDonald House is an accessible facility. We have an elevator, as well as many accessible bedrooms and common areas.
- Checking Out:
- Strip all beds, and bring all linens and towels to the laundry room
- Pack up all food items stored in refrigerators and your personal pantry.
- Share your good news and turn in your room key.
The Albany Ronald McDonald House is located at 139 S. Lake Avenue, Albany, NY 12208.
From the South
Take the New York State Thruway to Exit 23. Bear right off the exit. At the light, turn left onto Southern Boulevard/Route 9W. Proceed for approximately 1 mile. At the end of Southern Boulevard, turn right onto Delaware Avenue. Turn left onto Holland Ave and proceed 2 blocks. Albany Medical Center will be directly in front of you. Turn left onto New Scotland Avenue, then take the first right onto South Lake Avenue. Proceed 2.5 blocks. The house will be on your left.
From the North
Take the Northway (I-87) to I-90 East. Follow signs to I-787 South (Albany), then take the Madison Avenue exit. Take a left onto New Scotland Avenue. Go 2 blocks past Albany Medical Center on your right, and take a right onto South Lake Avenue. Proceed 2.5 blocks. The house will be on your left.
From the East
Take I-90 West to I-787 South (Albany). Exit at Madison Avenue. Go west on Madison Avenue for approximately 1 mile. Take a left onto New Scotland Avenue. Go 2 blocks past Albany Medical Center on your right, and take a right onto South Lake Avenue. Proceed 2.5 blocks. The house will be on your left.
From the West
Take I-90 East to I-787 South (Albany). Exit at Madison Avenue. Travel west on Madison Avenue for approximately 1 mile. Take a left onto New Scotland Avenue. Go 2 blocks, past Albany Medical Center on your right, and take a right onto South Lake Avenue. Proceed 2.5 blocks. The house will be on your left.
- Ronald McDonald House: 518-438-2655
- Albany Medical Center: 518-262-3125
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit: 518-262-3979
- General Pediatrics: 518-262-3701
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit: 518-262-3047
- Pediatric Clinic: 518-262-4376
- Emergency Department: 518-262-3131
- Hospital shuttle service: complimentary shuttle service to and from the hospital is available Monday through Friday, from 4:30 AM until midnight, by calling (518) 262-4444 ext 2. After hours and on weekends, dial (518) 262-3777 to call for a shuttle.
- Bus – Trailways: 518-436-9651
- Bus – Greyhound: 518-434-0121
- Train – Amtrak: 518-465-9971
- Taxi – Yellow Cab: 518-434-2222