Read for Ronald McDonald House
The Read for Ronald McDonald House Program is a service learning project that raises funds to support the Albany Ronald McDonald House through partnerships with local elementary schools and community youth groups. In addition to helping the children and families of the House, the program: promotes the value of community service, encourages students to read and benefits the participating school or youth group, with a rebate of 10% of funds raised going back to the school/group.
The Read for Ronald McDonald House Program offers a fantastic reading opportunity for children with little effort on the partnering organization. Our school based program is usually run with reading occurring in the month of March and the typical schedule of activities is listed below. If, however, your school would like to participate but needs a different schedule, please contact us. We would be happy to accommodate you!
- A RFRMH volunteer, dedicated to your school, drops off all related materials (calendars, pledge packets, etc.) to a designated liaison (usually a librarian or reading specialist).
- Students seek out family and friends to sponsor their reading for the month with pledges of any amount of money they decide per minute read during the month of March
- A special assembly is held to get students excited about reading for a good cause!
- On March 1st, students at your school will start reading.
- Students keep a record of their minutes read on their provided calendar.
- Students turn in their pledge packets with all collected money by the end of the first week in April. Your RFRMH volunteer will collect all packets from the school.
- All student participants receive a personalized participation certificate.
- Students who raise over $100 will receive a Read for Ronald McDonald House t-shirt.
- In May, the three top readers of your choice, along with a staff representative, are invited to attend the Awards for Excellence Celebration – an evening of food and fun hosted at the Albany Ronald McDonald House!
- All participating schools receive a personalized thank you letter as well as 10% of their funds in the form of a rebate check.
- The schools that raise the most funds and that have the highest level of participation will receive special student assemblies.
We also offer a small group program, catered to community youth groups. The structure of that program is similar to above and is offered at any time during the year.
Online fundraising options are available also. Please visit www.RMHCofAlbanly.kintera.org/Read for instructions on how to set up your child’s online fundraising page.
We would love to have you join us and participate in the Read for Ronald McDonald House Program!
For more information, please contact Nancy Damato @ 518.438.2655 or firstname.lastname@example.org.