13 Jan 2021 COVID-19 Update
Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Capital Region (RMHC-CR) continues to implement enhanced safety protocols to protect the health and well-being of children, families, volunteers, staff, board and members of our community during the COVID-19 pandemic. As the Capital Region deals with increased positive cases, the identification of a new COVID variant in our community, and a significant effort to distribute vaccines, we wanted to provide an update on the status of our programs at RMHC-CR.
First, we are extremely grateful that the support and cooperation of our community has allowed us to keep the Ronald McDonald House open to guest families without interruption since June 29, 2020. Over the last six months, we have provided a home away from home for more than 150 families while their children received critical care at the Bernard & Millie Duker Children’s Hospital at Albany Med.
In order to ensure the safest possible environment for every family that enters “The House That Love Built,” we continue to enforce the following conditions:
- Wellness checks are conducted upon each entry for all guests, staff and volunteers
- Masks and social distancing are required at all times in all common areas of the House
- Volunteer activity, including meal preparation, is limited to experienced RMHC-CR volunteers in groups of no more than four people at a time
- All staff and volunteers must complete training on COVID safety protocols before resuming work
- Only registered guests/visitors are permitted entry to the House at this time
- Common areas are limited to use by one guest family at a time, with disinfecting between uses
- Vaccination has been approved and is available to all RMHC-CR staff and volunteers
- Hotel accommodations may be provided as needed to ensure the health and safety of individual guest families
- RMHC-CR remains in communication with the Bernard & Millie Duker Children’s Hospital and Infectious Disease Prevention Team at Albany Med to maintain awareness of current epidemiological data throughout the Capital Region, including New York and nearby states as reported by departments of health, as well as advancements in testing, treatment and vaccines
At this time, our other core programs – the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile, Ronald McDonald Family Room, and RMHC-CR Hospitality Cart at the Bernard & Millie Duker Children’s Hospital – remain suspended for the safety of all. We continue to work closely with our hospital and community partners to plan for reinstatement of these programs at an appropriate time in the future.
For more information, including personal health and safety resources and ways that you can help, please visit our COVID-19 Updates page.